Top 10 Most Influential Books 2017

It seems a bit strange to kickstart a blog with a 'best of' list, but it somehow seems appropriate as we are nearing the end of 2017. I always tell my clients (and pretty much everyone I meet actually) that to be a better communicator, you need to start by reading...lots...and in as many different genres as possible!

It would be remiss of me if I didn't take my own advice, so I have taken it upon myself to read for at least an hour every single day, which means that I have ploughed through my fair share of books, articles, blogs, tweets, etc. this year. I have selected 10 books that have had the most influence upon my daily life and work in 2017 (which has been an incredibly difficult thing to do considering not only the amount of books that I have read, but also the relative merits of those books). As might be expected, my personal Top 10 have imagery as their main driver.

I am not saying that any one book is better than another (there are some incredible books that are not in my Top 10, even though they were outstanding), but this is an 'influence' list - that is, by absorbing myself within the books, they have had a direct, and immediate, impact upon my own creative output. It is also worth noting that the majority of these books were published pre-2017, but it is only this year that I have read them. So, in no particular order...

1. Art Thinking - Amy Whitaker: Absolutely in my mould of thinking. How to improve yourself in business through actively seeking creative pursuits.


2. Artful Creation: Learning-Tales of Arts-in-Business - Lotte Darso: Whilst being several years old (published 2009), there are some exceptional lessons of how to learn from the arts in order to realise business success.


3. Le Mans - Garbo Studio: Simply beautiful! Art, Cars, Steve McQueen - what's not to like. Has made a direct impact upon my own 'Revival' series of drawings this year.


4. Mindset - Dr Carol S. Dweck: Transformed my life - literally! No one book that I have read in the past 3 decades has given me the confidence to pursue my own ideas, more than this one.


5. My Last Day at Seventeen - Doug Dubois: Documentary photography meets comic book in a painfully poignant tale of youth and hardship. Taught me a new lesson in bringing different genres of image-making together. A case of 1 + 1 = 3!


6. Self-Publish, Be Happy - Bruno Ceschel: Does what it says in the title. Music to my ears, and a den of great ideas.


7. Sharaz-De, Tales From The Arabian Nights - Sergio Toppi: My first encounter with Toppi's artwork. 'Blown Away' is an understatement. Wonderful stories from my childhood, given Toppi's magical treatment. Has opened my eyes to new ways of storytelling.


8. Steal Like An Artist - Austin Kleon: Both this book, and Austin's Show Your Work have been a revelation for me this winter. Basically, this blog would not exist without Austin's influence (so it may well be all his fault if this turns out badly!!!!!).


9. The Art of Jock - Will Dennis: My modern-day Toppi and I had the chance to meet Jock at the 40th Anniversary of 2000AD in London in January. Great bloke, exceptional talent and keeps me inspired to want to do better every time I pick up a pencil.


10. Understanding Comics - Scott McCloud: Sheer genius. Visual language explained in the best way possible - through comics! My biggest influence on the content I teach within my own presentation classes.


Comments